Trinity Church — Pass Christian
In the Beginning
The church was founded in the early months of 1849 by the Rev. James S. Green, who was serving in a mission at Mississippi City (now a part of Gulfport). Rev. Green was living in the "Pass,” as even then it was called, where occasionally he would hold services in his home. These efforts lead to the construction of the first church building, and the selection of the first vestrymen who included William B. Lightfoot, Sheldon S. Clark, E.P. Fourniquette, Dr. William Calvert, H. Richard Brown, M.R. Pinckard, Finley B. Hiern, and Richard Swain.
On December 1, 1849, the Rev. Thomas Staughton Savage accepted the call to become the first Rector, and on Sunday, March 3, 1850, he administered the first services.
The Church Community
Throughout the years since Trinity’s beginnings in 1849, the Church Vestry and the Church Laity have remained strong — forming a hardcore of religious fiber that endured even during the times without a pastor or rector. In those situations, such as occurred in the 1940s and 1950s, whenever the Parish was without a rector, local congregants such as Edgar Bohn dutifully responded to fill those vacancies. He, as were others, would respond to the call to muster their efforts in fulfilling churchly needs. Mr. Bohn served as Senior Warden and was also charged with the administration of Live Oak Cemetery. At such times of clergy vacancies, congregants such as Bohn have always stepped forward to conduct religious services. His father, Henry Bohn, served as Superintendent of the Cemetery for 62 years.
The Church Edifice
The first church building was a simple, one-room structure of Gothic design with lancet windows and a belfry. Although the building was not yet complete, a dozen souls made their presence known. As the congregation grew in numbers, the church was consecrated on July 31, 1851.
The nave of the building had been expanded with the addition of transepts on each side that transformed the structure into the shape of a cross.
In 1890, a recessed chancel was added to further elaborate the altar. Then the installation of ornate windows was further emphasized by the addition of a vestibule.