Trinity Church  |     home
back to  Live Oak Cemetery - Pass Christian
Live Oak Graves
Live Oak CemeteryLast Duel in the PassAn Angel guarding its wards
Over 350 photographs of grave sites to be found in Trinity and Live Oak Book by Dan Ellis

Trinity Church Live Oak Cemetery – Pass Christian

 The Gates      On the 23rd of October 1851, U.S. Senator John Henderson and his wife Louisa deeded a plot of ground to the Vestry of Trinity Church.   Senator Henderson dedicated the plot of land as a place of interment which he called “Live Oak Cemetery” and prior to that, was simply called Cemetery of Pass Christian.  Recorded with the original deed is a plat of the cemetery which indicates the exclusion of several lots that conceivably had been previously sold.  The exact date on which Senator Henderson established the cemetery is not known, but it predated the gift of land to Trinity Church, since the cemetery grounds are shown as already existing on the church plat filed by the Senator when he donated the church land on the 23rd of April 1849.  In accordance with the deed to the church, Senator Henderson provided an area that was called Free Ground and was "set aside for the interment of both white and black."

A Story Book Land
     Live Oak Cemetery has served the people of Pass Christian and the surrounding area for over a century and a half.  Most of the leading citizens of the community, including many of the City's mayors, lie at rest in Live Oak. Many prominent people from New Orleans, including two former Governors of Louisiana, had chosen Live Oak as their final resting place. George Washington's great grand niece, Frances Parke Lewis Butler, is also buried there.
     Two of the earliest burials reported by the New Orleans Delta newspaper in 1855, were described as Leonard Matthews, a merchant, and William C. Micou, a lawyer.
Morning, noon and evening of the day
And in the dreaming hours of night
Our thoughts are with thee.

Next  Page